Sweet Potato Salad & Summer Cookouts
It’s Labor Day, the official last holiday of summer, the unofficial start to fall, and I couldn’t be more happy and grateful. This summer was one for the record books for us, full of up’s down’s and a lot of self-discovery and relationship discovery, if that’s a thing. I have a good feeling about lots of good things coming our way to wrap up the next three months of the year and will be excited to share updates as we go along. For now, here is one of the best things I created this summer that will have any party, summer or not dying for the recipe!
I feel like every family has a “Grandma’s Potato Salad” recipe, ours included and its delicious! Earlier this summer, I went to make it and realized I only had sweet potatoes on hand. So I decided to do the next best thing and see if I could doctor up a Sweet Potato salad instead and it was a hit! There are two “secret ingredients” you’ll see that makes this a hit and you can’t skip out on them or else the dish won’t taste the same.
- 3 medium sized sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- ½ a medium size red onion, diced
- 2 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup celery, diced
- ¼ cup dried cranberries (like Crasins)
- 1 cup Mayonnaise or Veganaise if making vegan
- ⅓ cup Honey Mustard
- Boil the potatoes until tender but not mushy (20-30 minutes)
- Transfer potatoes to a bowl and toss with apple cider vinegar and red onion, cool completely
- Let the potatoes sit for at least two hours for the vinegar and onion to do their thing
- Mix in the celery and dried cranberries
- Add the mayonnaise (or veganaise) and honey mustard, mix well
- Chill the potato salad for another hour or more if you have time
- Serve cold and enjoy!